An easy, 30-minute mixed Mexican salad with quinoa, corn, black beans, avocado and a creamy orange, lime and chili dressing! Healthy, delicious and so satisfying.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Salad
Cuisine: Vegan, Mexican
- 5-6 cups Mixed Greens
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (red or white)*
- 1/2 cup fresh or canned corn
- 1 cup cooked black beans (seasoned with equal pinches sea salt, cumin, chili + garlic powder)
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- 1 orange, segmented
- 1/2 ripe avocado, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped or torn
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 large lime, juiced (~4 Tbsp)
- 3 Tbsp orange juice
- 1-2 tsp sweetener of choice (maple syrup, agave, cane sugar, etc.)
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp chili powder (or sub extra hot sauce or chipotle powder)
- Healthy pinch each sea salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced cilantro (optional)
- 3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil or avocado oil
- Begin preparing quinoa first by thoroughly rinsing 1/2 cup quinoa in a fine mesh strainer, then bringing to a boil with 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook on low for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare salad ingredients by chopping vegetables, segmenting orange, and warming black beans and seasoning with salt, cumin, chili and garlic powder.
- Prepare dressing by adding all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blending until creamy and smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. I added more hot sauce, orange juice and salt.TIP: if you prefer a vinaigrette, leave out the avocado and simply whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Either plate salad and serve with dressing on the side, or toss with dressing before serving. Pairs well with salsa, fresh lime juice and tortilla chips.
- Leftovers keep for up to a few days, though best when fresh.
*Nutrition information is a rough estimate for 1 of 3 servings and includes dressing.
Serving size: 1/3 of the recipe Calories: 449 Fat: 25g Saturated fat: 3.9g Carbohydrates: 51g Sugar: 11.6gSodium: 375mg Fiber: 12g Protein: 11g
Recipe Courtesy Yummly.com